Gallery

In Vino Veritas

The first item on my 2015 “To Do” list was to finish VINO wine cork wall-art project I had started in October.  While I finished this in January, moving and getting settled into our new home has kept me from posting until now.

This started with a collection of wine corks (leftover from the previous tenant of the apartment and added to by Victor and myself).  I estimate there were about 50 wine corks total and this turned out to be nowhere near enough.

Initial wine cork collection

I steamed the wine corks before cutting them, taking out only about 5 at a time to keep them from drying out.  Being nervous cutting a small rolling item, I cut them about 1/4-1/2 inch thick and got 4 to 5 slices from each cork.

Steaming the corks

Steaming the corks

IMG_20150111_131701

Utility knife to cut the corks

 

Cork slices

Cork slices

To cut the letters, I used a cardboard box our tetra pak milk comes in. The four even sides worked perfectly to draw and cut out the needed V-I-N-O.

Milk box from PriceSmart aka CostCo

Milk box from PriceSmart aka CostCo

Drawing out the letters

Drawing out the letters

Close-up of letter N

Close-up of letter N

Quilting tools doing double duty

Quilting tools doing double duty

Letters prepped and ready to go

Letters prepped and ready to go

After the letters were cut, it came time to glue.  Wanting something similar to the industrial strength Gorilla Glue in the US, I bought RinoGlue.  In my mind, both Gorillas and Rinos come from the same continent, so they must be similar types of glue. I must also confess I have never actually used Gorilla Glue before, nor the RinoGlue.

1.5 bottles needed for the whole project

1.5 bottles needed for the whole project

The glue went on clear but when it started to dry, I was surprised to find out it expanded and turned a light yellow-white color.  So during the drying process, I had to press down the now puffed up glue and corks to keep them flat on the cardboard letters.

Going on clear

Going on clear

Starting to puff up as it dries

Starting to puff up as it dries

As I mentioned earlier, the initial amount of wine corks was not enough and left the N and part of the O empty.  My in-laws came to the rescue and donated some of their wine cork collection to the cause.

Ran out of corks

Ran out of corks

In the second round of cork cutting and gluing, I may have been a bit heavier handed with the glue (even knowing it would puff up) and you can tell a bit on those letters as more of the glue seeped through the corks.

First set of glued letters

First set of glued letters

Second time gluing. Used a bit too much this time

Second time gluing. Used a bit too much this time

Another lesson learned for future similar projects is to cover the counter or work on a surface that can be messed up.

While the VINO wall-art was finished while still at the apartment, it was in the new house that it was finally hung on the wall diving the dining area from the kitchen.  While Victor feels there is not enough distinction between the wall color and the letters, I personally love how they give a subtle texture to the wall.

Finished while at the apartment

Finished while at the apartment

Check one off the list!

Check one off the list!

First project on the list and of 2015 done, onto the next one!

IMG_20150130_185907

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “In Vino Veritas

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s