The back was pieced together in December using an old cotton shower curtain from either Cost Plus World Market or Pier1 Imports (it’s been so long since I purchased it, I can’t remember where it came from). When making the top I had no idea what I would use for backing. Then on a trip home to Phoenix, I discovered the (future) backing sitting in one of my craft boxes stored under the bed.
Turns out, just a little strip was needed to add to the length. The teal, green and blues in the damask design match perfectly with the aquas and greens in the top. I also like the bit of juxtaposition of a very feminine and organic pattern on the back contrasted with the geometric design of the front.
Superbowl Sunday was spent basting; my least favorite part of the process. Had I been smarter, I would have used our nice new big kitchen table. Instead I did it on the floor (and with the help of Berna).
Frustrating part, because this was a lightweight cotton shower curtain, manipulating the backing to be smooth under the batting was near impossible. You can see one part where the backing was too loose and sewed a fold.
For the actual quilting pattern, I had sketched out some ideas but really had no set plan. Still too scared to try free-motion quilting, I have been using my trusty walking foot and a 1/4″ spacing all around.
I started with a center hexagon and have worked my way out in a somewhat circular pattern. Each hexagon has been quilted with a different design using a white cotton thread. Overall the designs blend well into the quilt top.
My favorite part of the quilt has actually become the backing. I love the texture that has developed as the quilting has progressed.
I estimate I am about 40% done with the quilting on this one. I have been averaging a hexagon a day since starting. Hopefully it will be finished before the end of the month so I can get this project checked off the list and give it to its future owner!
On a somewhat related WIP Wednesday topic, my husband and I are in the middle of a puzzle of Monument Valley, AZ. I picked it out because it was a piece of home. It has also been a very challenging project and we will be happy to have finished!