A few weeks ago I talked about one of the “UFO” projects I was trying to finish before leaving my parent’s house in Arizona.
Sadly I was not able to finish my brother’s t-shirt quilt. Fortunately it was much easier to pack into my suitcase than a wood subway art sign or headboard.
I have since finished the quilt for my brother that was started almost 10 years ago.
When it came to the actual quilting, I wanted something that was a bit more masculine and modern to balance the sentimental feel of a t-shirt quilt.
I decided to do a tight zig-zag stitch along the sections where the different directions of quilting met up. This was to reinforce the start point of the lines and to cover the not-so-straight beginnings.
When it came to binding the quilt, I opted for the quick and dirty method. I made a bias tape with the remaining khaki fabric used for the front sashing and backing. I then proceeded to machine sew it to the front and back side.
Since this is a quilt for my younger brother and will most likely be used as a couch quilt or “guest bed” (aka futon) blanket, I figured I could get away with an easier binding method. I am not the best at this technique, but I wanted to get the quilt done and off my “UFO” list.
Overall I’m pretty happy with how it came out.
There is a college t-shirt quilt that is a work-in-progress (WIP) for myself. I will make sure to post more on the construction part of it in the upcoming weeks.