Yes this blog is to share my quilting projects. No this first post is not about a quilt.
When Victor (the boyfriend) and I moved into our apartment, the curtain situation was a disaster. The previous owner and subsequent tenant seemed to be content with having screws & nails barely set in the concrete block walls with various “poles” (aka half of a shower curtain rod or wooden dowel) set on top.
I was not pleased with the set-up. Imagine my surprise and glee at finding actual curtain hardware tucked in one of the closets. The first weekend after moving in involved installing these curtain rods and modifying the existing curtains in the apartment to use with the “new” hardware. Not wanting to invest personal funds in the curtain project, the guest room curtains were given a temporary fix until I was able to figure out exactly what to do.
The curtain hardware that came with our apartment is reminiscent of the 1990’s or a hotel room. Continuing the deep clean of the apartment, I found three sheer curtain panels hiding in the guest room closet.
It took a fair amount of meditation & pinterest searching to finally realize that a lightweight ruffled curtain was exactly what the room needed.
There are a variety of techniques to making ruffles. Since I envisioned a shabby chic style curtain, I did not need anything too precise. I ended up using the last technique shown here. Since I knew there would be 14 attachment points on the top of the curtain, I cut 14 strips out of the sheer panel that had been hanging 4″ wide and 14 strips out of the off-white sheer panel I found 2″ wide. Laid on top of each other, a stitch length of 5″ and a tension of 7 on the Brother sewing machine gave the perfect amount of ruffle without making the length too short.
I did do some measuring and calculations in figuring out how far apart to place each of the ruffle strips and getting the finished length of the curtain to the appropriate width. I was raised on the phrase “measure twice cut once” but honestly, measuring is not my favorite thing, so this part I winged a bit and crossed my fingers it would work. Thankfully it did.
Once all 28 ruffle stips were sewn and the panels were marked, I simply sewed the strips on top. The tricky part came into play when figuring out how to “shorten” up the curtain. I ended up folding the fat seam at the top over and then gathering the two points together to make a “pocket” on the back where the hook could be inserted.
Finally up, I was surprised how much shorter the finished curtains were, but realized it was a blessing in disguise since the guest bed sits right along the wall next to the window. I am so happy with the finished product. It gives a good amount of privacy while still letting in lots of natural light during the day.